    On Monday, August 23, 2004 9:27 am, wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 02:02:42AM -0700, David Mosberger wrote:
    > > You do realize that q-syscollect [1] can do this better for you
    > > without touching the kernel at all?
    > > [1]
    > Never heard of it. Unfortunately, the issue I run into far more
    > frequently than tools not existing is users being unwilling or unable
    > to use them. In fact, it's even a relatively large hassle to get users
    > to boot with /proc/profile enabled regardless of its simplicity. For an
    > issue this common I would prefer that the most basic tools available
    > (i.e. the very few that are near-universal, e.g. readprofile(1) etc.)
    > report callers to spinlock contention by default.

    q-tools is great and I'd really like to use it, but it would be great if
    readprofile worked too and reported callers into the contention function.
    I've already found that q-tools isn't that easy to setup on some machines,
    whereas readprofile is near universal, so I think there's value in making the
    latter work reasonably well, while still keeping its simplicity.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.047 / U:4.292 seconds]