    Subject2.6.8.1-ck4
    Patchset update. These are patches designed to improve system
    responsiveness with specific emphasis on the desktop, but configurable
    to any workload.

    The short time between ck3 and ck4 is for two reasons. First Ingo
    discovered a nasty bug affecting X performance and I believe I made a
    reasonable breakthrough on the never ending desktop vm swappiness saga.

    Web site with faq:
    http://kernel.kolivas.org
    Patches (with split-out also):
    http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.8.1/2.6.8.1-ck4/

    Added since 2.6.8.1-ck3:
    +mapped_watermark.diff

    This readjusts the way memory is evicted by lightly removing cached ram
    once the ram is more than 2/3 full, if less than the "mapped watermark"
    percent of ram is mapped ram (ie applications). The normal system is to
    aggresively start scanning ram once it is completely full. The benefits
    of this are:
    1. Allocating memory while ram is being lightly scanned is faster and
    cheaper than when it is being heavily scanned.
    2. There is usually some free ram which tends to speed up application
    startup times.
    3. Swapping is an unusual event instead of a common one if you have
    enough ram for your workload.
    4. It is rare for your applications to be swapped out by file cache
    pressure.
    Disadvantage: Less file cache - but can be offset with the tunable

    The mapped watermark is configurable so a server for example might be
    happy to have a lower mapped percentage. The default is 66 and a server
    might like 33 (0 is also fine)

    echo 33 > /proc/sys/vm/mapped

    This patch removes the swappiness knob entirely and deprecates all my
    previous vm hacks (autoregulated swappiness, hard swappiness, kiflush).

    +ioport-latency-fix-2.6.8.1.patch
    A nasty bug Ingo tracked down that caused high latencies and cache
    trashing with X.

    Changed:
    ~Staircase8.0
    Backed out a tweak designed to improve behaviour under filesystem load -
    I am avoiding all "tweaks" in the design, and it's effectiveness was
    questionable.
    Added a tiny check to recalc_task_prio which should make it safe when
    the Hz value is set below 500.

    ~1g_lowmem_i386
    Made the 1Gb of lowmem configurable if highmem is disabled.

    Removed:
    -hard_swappiness1.diff
    -kiflush3.diff
    Deprected in favour of mapped_watermark

    Full patchlist:
    from_2.6.8.1_to_staircase8.0.bz2
    schedrange.diff
    schedbatch2.4.diff
    schediso2.5.diff
    sched-adjust-p4gain
    mapped_watermark.diff
    defaultcfq.diff
    config_hz.diff
    1g_lowmem_i386.diff
    akpm-latency-fix.patch
    9000-SuSE-117-writeback-lat.patch
    cddvd-cmdfilter-drop.patch
    cool-spinlocks-i386.diff
    bio_uncopy_user-mem-leak.patch
    bio_uncopy_user2.diff
    ioport-latency-fix-2.6.8.1.patch
    supermount-ng204.diff.bz2
    fbsplash-0.9-r5-2.6.8-rc3.patch.bz2
    make-tree_lock-an-rwlock.patch.bz2
    invalidate_inodes-speedup.patch
    2.6.8.1-mm2-reiser4.diff.bz2
    2.6.8.1-ck4-version.diff

    Cheers,
    Con

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.027 / U:29.192 seconds]