Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> Its not an easy trade off- I don't know if there is a right answer.
> Despite the UI problems in both cdrecord and its author the internal
> code is actually quite rigorous so its something I'd be more comfortable
> giving limited rawio access than quite a few other apps that touch
> external public data.

Another way would be to add a scsi ioctl such as ENABLE_SG_IO or an
open flag, e.g. open("/dev/hdc", ... | O_RAWIO) which needs
CAP_SYS_RAWIO. That way it is much less likely that the RAWIO
permission is given away by mistake, but I must admit that it feels
kind of ugly.

/Christer

Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se