From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Alan Cox
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 1:40 PM
To: Josan Kadett
Subject: Re: Cursed Checksums

It depends on your hardware. With modern network cards we do the
checksum processing in hardware. For older setups passing a packet
through a Linux box won't directly help as the ttl recomputation is done
without recalculation from scratch.

We also have a pile of paths for checksumming including copy/checksum
rolled into one so it isn't easy to remove there.

I'd take up the issue with the vendor of the broken object. If its
something like an internal prototype you need to test then you'll
probably have to write a user space application using raw sockets to
communicate with it and do the fixups/passthrough in use space. Pretty
horrible either way.

Alan

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.067 / U:0.232 seconds]