    /me keeping to the bad habit of following up to myself

    Regarding the current 2.6.8 kernel, wouldn't it be a better idea to
    move the CAP_SYS_RAWIO check to open time instead of when the ioctl is
    called? This would require a new flag somewhere in the file structure
    I suppose, e.g. file->f_mode & FMODE_RAWIO.

    That would allow a suid root application to open the cdrom and then
    drop all capabilities including RAWIO and would probably fit better
    into how cdrecord expects things to work.

    Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
    Christer Weinigel <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.019 / U:0.120 seconds]