    SubjectRe: DTrace-like analysis possible with future Linux kernels?
    Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek@rudy.mif.pg.gda.pl> writes:

    Hello Tomasz,

    > Probably you did try use DTrace even less than 5 minutes :->

    No, I didn't. I clearly referred to that article, not to dtrace itself.

    > PS. Very interesting commens about this thread is on Bryan Cantrill
    > (DTrace developer) blog:
    > http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/bmc/20040820#dtrace_on_lkml
    > Bryan blog is also yet another Dtrace knowledge source ..

    Oh, yeah, great. A whole blog entry dedicated to me. Now I am a moron,
    absolutely clueless and I am "looking to confirm preconceived notions
    rather than understand new technology".

    Sorry, but that goes a little too far. No, I didn't try out dtrace
    and, right after reading the article (and that's the important thing!)
    I didn't seek for further information about it, I'm not a Solaris
    System Administrator right now (I was, some years ago). And all I was
    saying is that this *article* was just ridiculous.

    Please read this paragraph of my response to it again:

    | Maybe, without that article, I would recognize it as a fine thing
    | (and by "fine" I don't mean "the best thing since sliced bread"),
    | but that piece of text was just too ridiculous to take anything
    | serious.

    That should make it obvious, shouldn't it? I would have written the
    same thing If I read a similar article about, for example, vmware, UML
    or valgrind - and I really think those are really great inventions.

    But in that article, I was just missing the objectiveness. A quick
    note about the fact that Sun's been introducing dtrace for Solaris 10
    and what it is, what it does, would have been much better instead of
    talking about a "Cantrill explosion", how "DTrace has completely
    changed the way I do business" (actual quotes).

    Florian and Alan told me in a quick and objective manner why dtrace is
    a good thing, and I am glad for that information. I never stated that
    DTrace was a bad thing. I repeat it again - if I had any use for it,
    and I maybe have in future - it looks like I would consider DTrace a
    very nice thing to have. From the (non-insulting) replys I got, I
    understood that DTrace actually is one.

    Bryan Cantrill, I can understand that you have to defend DTrace. But
    please, PLEASE stop saying that I am a clueless moron if I wasn't even
    ranting about you, ranting about DTrace, but just about *that single
    article* and it's presentation of DTrace to me.

    And then all those comments about Linux users and developers being
    very defensive about DTrace... heck, can't I even critisize the
    quality of an ARTICLE without being accused of being a Linux maniac
    which fights against Solaris? I am using Solaris myself. Some years
    ago, I was a System Administrator for - guess what - Solaris
    machines. The last thing I want to step into is a religious war
    between Solaris and Linux. Does that mean I am not allowed to express
    my opinion about the public press anymore?

    I read about dtrace now, I think it's a good invention. If at any
    place at any time we two would meet I maybe would say to you "Bryan, I
    like DTrace very much". If I was to administer Solaris systems right
    now, I would probably even say: "Bryan, DTrace has helped me a
    lot". But I would STILL say that that article was CRAP, because that
    is just what that article is from my point of view.

    Now, I really don't know how to make this any more clear.

    Julien

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.030 / U:60.216 seconds]