SubjectRE: Entirely ignoring TCP and UDP checksum in kernel level
Date

You are misled. There are two machines in this scenario. One is our linux
box and the other is a 6000$ access concentrator which cannot be replaced
just for this reason. Embedded code in those network devices are often
bulky, so this is another problem the huge device is causing. Only "linux"
can do some hack in this case... So only way, hack the kernel...

--------------------------
Of course you can hack the kernel to do it.

However, by replacing that box with Linux device you
get one more Linux box and you will be capable of
doing whole slew of useful things, like traffic filtering, shaping,
accounting, Ethernet bridging, etc etc etc, if/when you will need it.
You can easily debug problems with tools like tcpdump and ethereal.
I simply cannot list everything Linux can do, I don't plan to write
a novel here ;]

I bet current 'crazy box' has nothing even vaguely resembling
these capabilities. Heck, it cannot do standard TCP properly.
So there is little reason to waste your time trying to work around it.
--
vda