    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:

    > So changing the kernel to require write permissions would be a simple
    > fix that would help without breaking cdrtools as libscg of course opens
    > the devices with O_RDWR.

    I agree, but Linus obviously thought otherwise. Reverting that and
    doing the above fix instead would create three different behaviours
    for different 2.6.x kernel versions, which is also undesirable.

    > I am not against a long term change that would require euid root too,
    > but this should be announced early enough to allow prominent users of
    > the interface to keep track of the interface changes.

    Too late for that now, no matter whether we like it or not... however,
    at least the discussion now has shown that changes to this interface
    need to be considered carefully, so maybe the future will be
    bright. ;)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.019 / U:0.164 seconds]