Subject2.4.20, Asus A7V333 PDC20276 and device naming?
Date
Hi,

my computer has a PDC20276 on the motherboard (Asus K7V333, i e VIA
KT333)
and I have been running Linux on it (Suse 8.2, i e 2.4.20 with initrd
to boot reiserfs from /dev/hda2; lilo does the booting). When I have
the PDC20276 disabled using a jumper, it does not show up in /proc/pci.

Recently, I added two drives to the controller and enabled it.
This caused booting to fail with a panic saying hda cannot be mounted.
But if I boot the rescue cd, I can mount the root from /dev/hda2.
Using grub from a diskette, I can almost complete a boot from the first
bios disc (i e 0), but I have to set root=/dev/hde2. The whole things
ends by telling me to fsck my disc, which is mounted as hda2 even if
I've changed fstab to mount root from hde2.

Now I am stuck. To me it seems like the kernel behaves inconsistently,
sometimes calling my disc hda, sometimes hde. (The BIOS apparently plays
some games (with Int13?) to make booting from RAID possible?) Any
pointer
or information would be very appreciated! I can provide more details if
needed.
Please Cc me since I do not subscibe to the list. (If I should ask
somewhere else,
please tell me.)

Regards

Mårten B

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.135 / U:0.092 seconds]