SubjectRe: Audio volume poor in Linux, OK in Win2K
Date
Steve Snyder wrote:
> I can't seem to get much volume out of my audio controller.
>
> I have a dual-boot system, Win2K/SP4 and Fedora Core 2 (FC2), both with
> all updates applied. The volume is fine in Win2K. In FC2, even with the
> volume turned up to 100%, audio output is barely loud enough for voices
> to be understood. This is true whether using the built-in speakers or
> with headphones. The lack of volume is *not* application dependant.
>
> Prior to installing FC2, I ran RedHat Linux v9 with the most recent 2.4.x
> kernel available at that time. The audio volume was also inadaquate in
> this environment, yet was still fine in Win2K.
>
> I see no errors or warning in my system logs that might indicate any
> problems with the audio driver in use.
>
> My hardware is a HP Presario 2570us notebook, which has an integrated ALi
> M5451 audio controller. More detail:
>
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link
> Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 0850
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
> I/O ports at 1000
> Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
> Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
>
> These are the audio-related (kernel v2.6.8) modules seen with lsmod:
>
> snd_ali5451 18888 0
> snd_ac97_codec 58500 1 snd_ali5451
> snd_pcm 75912 1 snd_ali5451
> snd_page_alloc 8584 1 snd_pcm
> snd_timer 18692 1 snd_pcm
> snd 42596 4
> snd_ali5451,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore 6624 1 snd
>
> It seems that the Linux audio subsystem is incapable of producing the
> audio volume that I get in Win2K, at least with this hardware. Is there
> anything I can do to get more volume in Linux?

Yes, play with alsamixer and bump everything to 100% (and unmute it).
Mainly I guess you forgot the PCM control.
Some devicecs have "External Amplifier" switch, try that too.

If you are still with problems, please do:

$ alsactl -f current.conf store

and attach current.conf

Kalin.

--