SubjectRe: setproctitle
    Hi Robert :)

* Robert White <rwhite@casabyte.com> dixit:
> > The command-line arguments are being fetched from the process address
> > space, i.e. simply editing argv[] in userspace will have the desired
> > effect. Though this code is butt ugly.
[...]
> Can the entirety of arg[] be moved to a newly allocated region, if
> so how? (e.g. wouldn't I have to have access to overwrite
> mm->arg_start etc?

That was one of the problems I was having: overwriting the memory
you already have is easy, but moving... I mean, you realloc and move
the memory but the kernel doesn't notice it, am I wrong?

> I'd prefer a setthreadtitle(char * new_title) such that the
> individual threads in a process (including the master thread, and
> so setproctitle() function is covered) could be re-titled to
> declare their purposes. It would make debugging and logging a lot
> easier and/or more meaningful sometimes. 8-)

Exactly ;)

> I'd be willing to work on this if there is interest.

I'm VERY interested, but the problem is that in any case I won't
be able to use that in my programs since portability is sometimes an
issue :( Not all OS are able of such things. The problem, in the end,
is that changing the name of the process is not a standard thing...

Thanks for your help :)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736