    > > While Sun did spend a year refusing to fix security holes I found -  for
    > > "compatibility reasons" - long ago back when I was a sysadmin at NTL,
    > > the Linux world does not work that way.
    > Unless you tell us what kind of "security holes" you found _and_ when this has
    > been, it looks like a meaningless remark.

    Well ... despite the danger, that this email ist just another meaninless
    remark, too, I'd say that Sun acts like any other big software company: they
    don't listen to single persons reporting bugs, and tend to blame misbehaviour
    of software on you. Personal experience: I implemented some smartcard driver,
    it didn't work, I identified a bug, reported it. Sun said: "your software is
    buggy". It was only after our client (a big company) intervened, that Sun modified
    their kernel drivers (allthough I think the error was "below" that).
    Even though I exactly told them how to reproduce the bug, they were not able to.
    Two co-workes had to go to Sun in San Francisco - and they instantly were able to
    reproduce the bug on Sun's machine.

    Typical scenario: small sw-company reports bugs -> reply: "you are too unskilled".
    big company enters the scene -> things are getting fixed.

    So, you see, Sun is not per se impeccable.

    best regards,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.019 / U:0.652 seconds]