SubjectRe: [RFC] ext3 documentation (lack of)
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Diego Calleja wrote:

> Thanks. I've recollected those, explained it a bit (except the barrier bits,
> I don't really mean what barriers are), and updated ext2 documentation with
> some of them, and deleted a small comentary about ext3 not being available.

> +user_xattr (*) Enables POSIX Extended Attributes. It's enabled by
> + default, however you need to confifure its support
> + (CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR). This is neccesary if you want
> + to use POSIX Acces Control Lists support. You can visit
> + http://acl.bestbits.at to know more about POSIX Extended
> + attributes.
> +
> +nouser_xattr Disables POSIX Extended Attributes.
> +
> +acl (*) Enables POSIX Access Control Lists support. This is
> + enabled by default, however you need to configure
> + its support (CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL). If you want
> + to know more about ACLs visit http://acl.bestbits.at
> +
> +noacl This option disables POSIX Access Control List support.

Hmmm, after a quick look on source code one more clarification. Since
2.4.20 one can set default mount options in ext2/ext3 superblock using
tune2fs. If user_xattr or acl is there, then they are enabled by default
while mounting such filesystem. However default mount options field in
superblock is by default empty, so user_xattr and acl are not enabled by
default for most users. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Another thing is that a quick grep for reservation and resize options
shows nothing in latest kernel. Are you sure that these options exist? For
sure reiserfs has resize option.

--
Janusz Dziemidowicz
rraptorr@kursor.pl