SubjectRe: new tool: blktool
Mark Lord wrote:
> But there'll need to be some overlap between the old and new,
> and currently the libata driver has no way for smartmontools
> or hdparm to communicate and control drive features like
> the cache/readahead settings, and the various SMART capabilities.

Supporting the ATA Pass-through CDB in libata will enable support for
all of those things. I think we all agree that there needs to be _some_
way of letting userspace control these attributes via direct ATA command
submission.

As an aside, although libata _will_ support some sort of user ATA
command execution method, some of these attributes are (or will be soon)
available through standard SCSI methods.

For example, MODE SENSE/MODE SELECT on the caching mode page allows one
to toggle read-ahead and writeback caching.

blktool supports both methods :)

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.060 / U:1.744 seconds]