SubjectRe: 2.6.8.1-mm2 (nvidia breakage)
Date
Hi Michael,

> kernel 2.6.8.1-mm2 booting here with acpi_os_name=Linux and pci=routeirq.
> Without pci=routeirq hangs at startx (nvidia).

I assume this problem is with the Nvidia binary-only driver? My guess
is that the driver doesn't call pci_enable_device() before using
pci_dev->irq. I don't have source for that driver, so I can't verify
this.

If the driver is from Nvidia, please contact their technical support
and request that they fix the driver. I can help explain the issue if
necessary.

I also noticed this in your dmesg:

floppy: controller ACPI FDC0 at I/O 0x3f7-0x3f7 irq 6 dma channel 2
Using anticipatory io scheduler
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
floppy0: no floppy controllers found

I hope that you have the floppy controller disabled in your BIOS,
or at least have no floppy drives connected. Can you confirm that?
I expected that ACPI would not report the controller at all in such
a case, but it looks like yours reports the controller with a zero-
length I/O port region. I probably should check for that.

If you do have a floppy drive, it probably doesn't work anymore
unless you specify "floppy=no_acpi". If this is the case, we'll
have to figure out a quirk or something to make it work.

Thanks for the testing report!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.074 / U:1.160 seconds]