    >From: Patrick McFarland <diablod3@gmail.com>

    >On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:33:09 +0200 (MET DST), H.Rosmanith (Kernel
    >Mailing List) <kernel@wildsau.enemy.org> wrote:
    >> Some stuff that started a flamewar.

    >If no one has noticed yet, thanks to the additional license
    >restrictions Joerg Schilling has added to cdrecord (due to this
    >thread), it may be now moved to non-free in Debian in the near future.

    It makes no sense to comment things if you don't know what's going on.
    So please avoid comments like this in the future.

    Your statement "it may be now moved to non-free in Debian in the near future"
    is just complete nonsense. Of course, I am in discussions with Debian people
    about the best method to force SuSE not to publish broken versions of cdrtools
    in the future.

    Let me comment what SuSE is currently doing with cdrtools:

    A program is an artwork (this is what the European Union did write into laws).

    Even though you may get the permission to modify an artwork, you will not get
    the permission to create bad carricatures and call them just "modified
    versions".

    The GPL requires you not to impact the original authors' reputations, but this
    is what SuSE is doing by publishing defective variants.

    Jörg

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
    schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling