SubjectRe: Merge I2O patches from -mm
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:31:18PM +0200, Markus Lidel wrote:
> > Now to i2o_scsi:
> > - the logic of "demand-allocating" Scsi_Hosts looks rather bad to me,
> > life would be much simpler with a Scsi_Host per i2o device.
>
> But wouldn't it be a waste of resources to allocate a Scsi_Host
> structure for every I2O device? Note that the i2o_scsi "sees" all disks
> even if they are in a RAID array, so in most cases there are at least 3
> Scsi_Host adapters...

I wouldn't wasted ressources but it seems Alan found another problem.

> We also now know which disk is on which controller, this information is
> lost with your approach...

You could still keep that information in your data structure. But what
do you actually need it for?

> > - the slave_configure/i2o_scsi_probe_dev logical is quite horriblebut
> > fortunately with the suggestion above it would just go away
>
> Yep, i know that it would be better to extend scsi_add_device, so it's
> possible to pass a pointer to i2o_scsi_slave_alloc. This is only a
> workaround, which breaks as soon as things are done in parallel :-(

Just keep some lookup data structure so you can find the device data
by host/target/lun numbers.

> > - the global list of hosts and wlaking it on exit is a very bad design,
> > that's something the ->remove callback should do on per-device basis
>
> But what if the I2O device isn't removed?

you're using the driver model, and that calls ->remove and every device
when the driver is unregistered.

> > - please reorder the functions a little so you don't need forward-declarations
>
> most of the forward-declarations are not needed at all, should i remove
> unneeded completely?

Yes, please.

Okay, some brainstorming to get the data structures and lookup right:

What really seems to miss in your model is a callback to i2o_scsi
from the main i2o code when a new i2o_controller is found, if you implemented
that we'd allocate/deallocate the Scsi_Host in that callback and
->probe/->remove could be sure it'd always have it.

Anyway, I think we could live without that.

i2o_scsi_get_host would get inlined into i2o_scsi_probe.
i2o_scsi_remove basically needs a full rewrite, you need to find a way
to store a scsi_device ini i2o_dev and it becomes completely trivial.

Not sure about how to sanitize the scsi_devie probing logic
in i2o_scsi_probe yet.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.056 / U:0.096 seconds]