SubjectRe: DRM and 2.4 ...
On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 11:42:00AM +0100, Dave Airlie wrote:

> > DRM_IOCTL_ARGS, DRM_ERR, DRM_CURRENTPID, DRM_UDELAY, DRM_READMEMORYBARRIER,
> > DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_IOCTL etc etc existed prior to freebsd support? Oh my
> > god...
>
> I'm currently open for constructive critics with ideas on how to fix these
> things, the DRM is open for business if we can fix things up now it will
> be a lot easier while I'm knee deep with time than after I'm finished and
> back travelling .. should we have try to implement Linux fns in BSD, what
> do we do if more parameters/info are needed from a BSD side, or do we try
> and sideline all these into a separate library of functions and wrap them
> on both bsd and linux?

it's a bit of all of this.
If BSD doesn't have a conflicting udelay(), why not just implement one
there instead of a superfluous rename.
DRM_ERR() otoh should have been dealt with by making a core function for the
ioctl with only the really needed/used arguments (probably even such that
the arguments are already copied from userspace) and then a linux and a bsd
specific API wrapper. The BSD one can then easily flip the sign (that's
basically free), it also takes case of DRM_IOCTL_ARGS mess as well and
DRM_COPY_FROM_USER_IOCTL if you do it right.
DRM_CURRENTPID probably shouldn't exist at all, drivers shouldn't use pid's
in general.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.396 / U:0.920 seconds]