    SubjectRE: High CPU usage (up to server hang) under heavy I/O load
    Date
    Hi Marcello,

    > You want to try this

    The server now runs 2.4.26 with the patch applied for about two hours. I
    have triggered backups so that it is a little bit stressed.

    My first feeling is something changed. Once the whole physical memory has
    been in use by the kernel, I saw some load problems rising (as before), but
    the server did not hang (as before ;-) and system load has gone down
    smoothly (took about one or two minutes).

    Now it looks stable under medium I/O load. I'll give it more stress next
    night and I'll report the behaviour here.

    However, kswapd is still a major CPU eater : 5 minutes of CPU time consumed
    since the reboot (2 hours). kupdated is at 1 minute and bdflush is 12
    seconds. /proc/sys/vm are boot time standard settings with no change. Actual
    system load is near 4 for 15 minutes average, which I consider very bad
    result regarding currently running application. I believe I should be near 1

    Do you think I could achieve better results (smoother operations) by
    tweaking those /proc/sys/vm settings ?

    Regards,
    Sylvain.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.034 / U:30.752 seconds]