    SubjectRe: [patch] voluntary-preempt-
    On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 00:01, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Lee Revell <> wrote:
    > > I will try next with /dev/random disabled. Don't most/many new
    > > machines have a hardware RNG that would eliminate the need for this
    > > code?
    > The C3 does have one IIRC, but do Intel CPUs have it too? Also, there's
    > the question of trust - how random it truly is. Is it a partly
    > pseudo-RNG masked via encryption? /dev/random i know is random, driven
    > by random timings of real disks and real network packets. The CPU's HRNG
    > is much more encapsulated and can only be blackbox-tested.

    According to menuconfig, it looks like Linux supports hardware RNGs from
    AMD, Intel, and Via. Via at least has published a cryptanalysis of

    I am not a crypto expert so I can't comment much more. Also I have one
    of the older C3s without this feature so it's beside the point.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.028 / U:14.224 seconds]