    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] let W1 select NET
    Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> writes:
    > In which case, can we remove the user-visibility of CONFIG_NET and
    > instead make all the protocols automatically select it.

    That would kind of annoying for cases where one really does want to
    disable it though. A very nice property of the current system is that
    when one disables something like _NET, it removes a vast swath of other
    options (which removes a lot of clutter from the interface), and _know_
    you won't inadvertently drag in _NET by enabling something.

    Conversely, the requirement that _NET be enabled to select various
    network-related things isn't a problem from a user-interface point of
    view, as it's `obvious' that one needs a network to use them (and the
    config option to turn networking on is pretty starkly obvious when all
    other networking options are removed).

    This latter point in particular doesn't hold for some other
    relationships (e.g. I seem to recall that various feature require SCSI
    somewhat counter-intuitively, as they're not inherently related to it,
    but rather have an implementation dependency on the kernel SCSI
    infrastructure).

    -Miles
    --
    Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
    has to be us. -- Jerry Garcia