SubjectRe: SG_IO and security
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>2B
>>Jens Axboe wrote:
>>
>>>I have no idea how many apps use this ioctl, does anyone have a rough
>>>list?
>>
>>Add a rate-limited "this feature is deprecated" feature and find out...
>

> Googling for it does show it as being documented and apparently used by a
> few programs, at least...

Personally I know it's in use, but for some programs it's a fallback if
SG_IO or a more modern method doesn't work...

Since we have (AFAICS) five interfaces (scsi-send-command, sg v1, sg v2,
sg v3, and SG_IO) I would rather just go ahead and

static int printed_warning;
if (!printed_warning++)
printk(KERN_WARNING "SCSI_SEND_COMMAND deprecated\n");
Also, inevitably some of the programs using this will be ancient disk
tools (some written by disk vendors long gone)...

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans