SubjectAny news on a higher performance sata_sil SIL_QUIRK_MOD15WRITE workaround?
I've been really disappointed by the performance of the Silicon Image
3114 on my new x86_box. I spent a bunch of time looking into the
problem, thinking it was a software RAID5 or xfs issue causing 4K IOs.
I don't know why I didn't notice the 'applying Seagate errata fix' in
dmesg until after I did a bunch of performance testing and realized that
it was a sata_sil issue.

So, I was wondering what I can do about this problem? I am not currently
getting enough disk performance to justify the amount spent on the
system or enough to satisfy the application I'm working on. Before I go
out and purchase a 3ware controller and re-install the machine (ouch),
is there any chance of a better work around in the near future? I'd be
more than willing to test out a patch.

Is the problem with really with nblocks % 15 == 1? Or is the problem
with nblocks % 15 == 0? If it is the later and I'm using xfs with 4K
blocks, couldn't I just turn off the workaround or will the RAID5 driver
potentially break up larger requests?

It would seem that the root of the problem is a Seagate issue. Does
anyone know if Seagate fixed the problem with a firmware update?
Updating the firmware on Seagate fibre channel drives was pretty
painless, I'd assume that a method exists for SATA drives as well, or is
that asking too much?

Thanks,
Clem

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.065 / U:0.224 seconds]