SubjectRe: select implementation not POSIX compliant?
Nick wrote:

>Furthermore, a call to close and then select in the same thread
>blocks while the other thread is still in select, which has a very large
>surprise factor, since the code would work were it not for the other
>select.

Could you post the test case for this behavior: I assume your test app
is buggy: a select call that is executed after close returned must
return EBADF, everything else would be a bug.

Regarding your main point: The return result from select/poll is
undefined in Linux if you close a descriptor while another thread polls
or selects it.
This is consistent with the behavior of other Unices - for example HP UX
kills the process if you replace a descriptor that is being polled with
dup2.

--
Manfred