SubjectRe: Compression algorithm in cloop
Lei Yang wrote:

> If I don't want to build a new compression library and port it to
> kernel, all I want to do is to try out the idea -- whether it could work
> on cloop, whether the compression ratio is acceptable, can I just change
> the cloop code? In other words, I just need a loopback block device with
> other compression scheme.

If you just want to try out some wacky ideas, I suggest you take a look
at the network block device.

It is a block device that sends all read/write requests through a socket
so that this requests can be fulfilled by a user space deamon.

This is not very good in terms of performance, but it is much easier to
develop this kind of thing in userspace, without all the stack / memory
/ atomicity / concurrency problems :)

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com
"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"