    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] select FW_LOADER -> depends HOTPLUG
    On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 02:24:47AM +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    >
    > > No - kconfig gets it wrong.
    > > When selecting a config option kconfig shall secure that
    > > 'depends on' are evaluated also for the selected symbol.
    >
    > Which dependencies? select was more intended to select symbols without a
    > prompt (it's dependency would be simply 'n'). The selected symbol can also
    > have multiple prompts, how should these dependencies be merged?
    > The current select is intentionally simple, so the calculation is
    > straightforward. Anything more complex I have to completely rethink the
    > behaviour between depencies and selects, e.g. something like this:
    >
    > A ---selects----> C ---selects----> D
    > B --depends on--> --depends on--> E
    >
    > If you want to change the behaviour of select how will it change the
    > behaviour of the other dependencies and selects?

    The current usage of select in the kernel covers many select's of
    symbols that actually have a prompt.

    I assume Sam thinks in the direction to let a symbol inherit the
    dependencies off all symbols it selects.

    E.g. in

    config A
    depends on B

    config C
    select A

    C should be treated as if it would depend on B.

    > bye, Roman

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.