On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 04:16, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> writes:
>
> >> Last time I gave
> >> superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't
> >> rt_task safe.
> >
> > So, you've been working on the scheduler anyway...
> > An option to reserve some portion of CPU time for
> > emergency use (say, 5% after 1 second has passed)
> > would let somebody get out of this situation.
>
> Another option would be an Alt-Sysrq-something that lowered all RT
> processes to normal levels.

I hate to derail a good flame-fest, but this would be extremely useful,
for more than burning CDs. Anytime you are dealing with a SCHED_FIFO
process a bug can lock the machine, this would be useful for hacking
jackd for example.

If someone wants to code this up I and the other people on jackit-devel
would gladly test it.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.101 / U:16.576 seconds]