    SubjectRe: [RFC] Fix Device Power Management States

    On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Well, "no DMA" needs to be part of definition, too, because some
    > devices (USB) do DMA only if they have nothing to do.

    I don't understand; that doesn't sound healthy.

    > if something like this gets merged, it will immediately break swsusp
    > because initially no drivers will have "stop" methods.
    > Passing system state down to drivers and having special "quiesce"
    > (as discussed in rather long thread) state has advantage of
    > automagicaly working on drivers that ignore u32 parameter of suspend
    > callback (and that's most of them). David's patches do not bring us
    > runtime suspend capabilities, but do not force us to go through all
    > the drivers, either...

    Nothing is free. ;)

    We've been talking about creating and merging a sane power management
    model for 3+ years now. It's always been known that the drivers will have
    to be modified to support a sane model. It's a fact of life. At some
    point, we have to bite the bullet and do the work. I see that time rapidly

    I do not intend to merge a patch that will break swsusp in a stable
    kernel. However, we do have this wonderful thing called the -mm tree in
    which we can a) evolve the model, b) get large testing coverage and c)
    solicit driver fixes.

    Once the swsusp consolidation is merged upstream, I will merge a new
    device power model in -mm, and we can start working on the drivers. How
    does that sound?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:5.976 seconds]