SubjectRe: 2.6.7-mm6
David S. Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:36:18 -0700
> William Lee Irwin III <wli@holomorphy.com> wrote:
>

>>I have it isolated down to the sched-clean-init-idle.patch and
>>sched-clean-fork.patch. sched-clean-init-idle.patch fails to build without
>>the second of those two applied, so I didn't do any work to narrow it down
>>further.
>

> One thing to note is that we don't currently call the
> wake_up_forked_process() thing in our SMP idle bootup
> dispatcher in arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c
>
> Perhaps that is somehow related to the problems.
> In that case the culprit would be the first patch,
> sched-clean-init-idle.patch

Yes, I missed sparc64 due to the lack of wake_up_forked_process. Dang.

Well, what used to happen is that wake_up_forked_process would put the
idle task on the runqueue like a regular process, then init_idle would
take it off again.

However after the patch, init_idle simply does all the work itself,
and doesn't have to deal with removal from the runqueue. Now sparc64
uses "kernel_thread" to clone its idle tasks, which *does* put the
process onto the runqueue. init_idle then also makes it the idle task.
This is probably why it blows up.

I guess another small function to remove the task from the runqueue
before calling init_idle for those arches that want it would be the
way to go.

Sorry, this is my fault. Got to run now, but I'll send a patch to try
in a few hours if someone hasn't already.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.079 / U:0.292 seconds]