    SubjectRe: Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics for 2.6 (was: Re: [RFC] Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics)
    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

    > On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Andries Brouwer wrote:
    > >
    > > But it is true, returning 0 in all other fields would have made
    > > it more clear that there is no attempt to return the BIOS geometry.
    > > It might be a good idea to do that.
    > I fail to see how that would solve _now_ the _current_ serious problem
    > with HDIO_GETGEO.

    It wouldn't, the damage has been done. I just wish HDIO_GETGEO had been
    removed rather than changed.

    > 1) 2.6 kernels made very visible that the widely used Parted, libparted,
    > etc are severely broken. They should be FIXED. Off-topic on linux-kernel.

    It's not *severly* broken. All partitioning tools use some kind of
    heuristics and it's just a minor variation compared to, say, fdisk that
    makes parted fail.

    > Considering all the above points, it seems logical from practical point
    > of view, that the restoration of the old HDIO_GETGEO functionality (or
    > something that's very close to its behaviour) _temporarily_ for 2.6
    > kernels makes sense.

    It's too late. Rather than updating the kernel you could as well update your
    favorite partitioning tool.

    Changing the semantics of HDIO_GETGEO either way in the (supposedly) stable
    2.6.x series it IMHO not a good idea.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.019 / U:41.852 seconds]