    SubjectRe: Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics for 2.6 (was: Re: [RFC] Restoring HDIO_GETGEO semantics)
    On Monday 05 of July 2004 14:14, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:

    > - the old HDIO_GETGEO code still exists, just the values are thrown
    > away, as Andries wrote recently

    No, the code (ide-geometry.c) is gone.

    > - nobody could point out any _technical_ benefit why the new
    > HDIO_GETGEO code is better than the old one (the _way_ Andries wanted to

    Andries pointed it many times but you seem to completely ignore it
    (see comments in ide-geometry.c):

    * I did this, but it doesn't work - there is no reasonable way to find the
    * correspondence between the BIOS numbering of the disks and the Linux
    * numbering. -aeb
    * The code below is bad. One of the problems is that drives 1 and 2
    * may be SCSI disks (even when IDE disks are present), so that
    * the geometry we read here from BIOS is attributed to the wrong disks.
    * Consequently, also the former "drive->present = 1" below was a mistake.
    * Eventually the entire routine below should be removed.

    I also pointed out that IDE driver _doesn't_ need BIOS geometry et all.

    > push the code to user space was quite "unlucky")

    > - nobody complained if anything would break if HDIO_GETGEO were
    > restored
    > - returning 0 values have an unpredictable impact. Hence perhaps the
    > change shouldn't be done in the 2.6 kernels to avoid yet another
    > brown paper bag.

    Yes, it won't help.

    We need new ioctl for a get_start_sect() (first sector of a partition).

    > Considering all the above points, it seems logical from practical point
    > of view, that the restoration of the old HDIO_GETGEO functionality (or
    > something that's very close to its behaviour) _temporarily_ for 2.6
    > kernels makes sense.

    We can restore ide-geometry.c or try to return values obtained from
    EDD code through IDE driver. Alternatively we can add new ioctl for
    start of partition and remove HDIO_GETGEO from IDE driver completely
    but probably it is too late for this for 2.6 (we should do it early
    in 2.7 then). Andries?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.023 / U:75.288 seconds]