    SubjectRe: uid of user who mounts
    That is an interesting patch.

    I confirmed what Randy had mantioned about the user= entries in mtab
    allowing umounts (at least it works that way for a few of the local
    filesystems I tried) but did not seem to work so well on other
    filesystems - I had odd results on umounting my cifs mounts e.g. - after
    adding at mount time "user=someuser" to /etc/mtab (by a minor change to
    the mount helper mount.cifs.c, when running mount.cifs suid). umount of
    those mounts failed and has been tricky to debug through a privately
    built version of umount via ddd (although it is clearly not making it
    down to the cifs filesystem on the user umount so the problem is in libc
    or in fs/namespace.c) - so I am tracing through fs/namespace.c now.

    On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 04:35, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
    > Steve French wrote:
    > >
    > > Thanks - I had missed that - and it is a little cleaner to call it
    > > "user" than "mount_uid" in the line in /proc/mounts, and there are no
    > > existing parms returned that are similar (except "username" which should
    > > be easy enough to understand). Interestingly I did not see other
    > > filesystems returning that in /proc/mounts (I slightly prefer having it
    > > stored in the filesystems kernel code and returned in showopts not just
    > > put by userspace in the file mtab) - the only minor annoyance is that /
    > > etc/mtab returns the username (rather than the uid).
    > I support adding 'user=UID' to the /proc/mounts output. Actually I
    > have an older patch which contains this feature. This is slightly big
    > patch which also deals with completely elliminating the need for a
    > suid mount program for some specific filesystems. See:
    > Miklos

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.021 / U:11.852 seconds]