    SubjectExposing ROM's though sysfs
    We talked at OLS about exposing adapter ROMs via sysfs. I have some
    time to work on this but I'm not sure about the right places to hook
    into the kernel.

    The first problem is recording the boot video device. This is needed
    for laptops that compress their video and system ROMs together into a
    single ROM. When sysfs exposes the ROM for these adapters it needs to
    know the boot video device so that it can return the ROM image at
    C000:0 instead of trying to find an actual ROM. What is the right
    kernel structure for recording the boot video device? Where should this
    code live? It is probably x86 specific but have non-x86 laptops done
    the same trick?

    What about ISA support. Should we make an attempt to return ROM
    contents from ISA cards?

    Note that not just video cards can have ROMs. Disk adapters commonly
    have them too. We probably want to expose these ROMs too.

    Do we want to expose the system ROM via sysfs? Where should it appear?

    Some Radeon cards have a bug where they forgot to clear a latch which
    makes the ROMs visible. Where should a fix for things like this go? I
    can put it in the radeon driver but if you try to read the ROM before
    the driver is loaded, the ROM won't be visible.

    Jon Smirl

    Do you Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.046 / U:3.032 seconds]