    SubjectRe: gigabit trouble
    (I am a moron, and gmail isn't helping. I keep sending this stuff to
    people, not the list. Sorry.)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:41:03 +0200, Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I was going to do an exhaustive test, but because my computer stopped
    > running completely, I'll reply to the one or two bits I can now.

    ...which was unrelated. Although I can't get the noise anymore
    now either. I'm not too happy, I like my problems reproducable.
    Of course, in the course of tring to fix the nonbootability, I changed
    a bunch of things. Hrm.
    I'll try getting it back later.

    > > > So, question one - how do I see the link speed under linux, and how,
    > > > if at all, do I control it?
    > >
    > > ethtool
    > Thanks. That wasn't the problem - the line speed's a gbit.

    Definately. I've now seen speeds up to 22MB/s, but only in pure
    network benching (netio), and only with udp, although I guess
    that makes a some sense.

    (Also, for some reason it makes a respectable difference which
    computer I run the netio server on. I mean, netio measures
    speed both ways on one run, and it's different depending on
    where I run it. I guess that suggests io limiting)

    So the hanging around ten MB/s was just coincidence - it still
    does it in both nfs and samba, but I guess it's io limited
    *somewhere*, but trying to figure out why doesn't belong
    in this list, I guess. Or maybe it does; I've always wondered
    why samba hangs around 3, 4, 5, maybe 6 MB/s on a 100mbit
    link - which with netio shows that it can go at 11MB/s, its full
    speed - and even nfs rarely tops above eight. On my friend's
    setup too, and he *does* have respectable hardware in his
    server:)

    I assume the 20MB/s top speed on my gbit cards is io limiting,
    and possibly the fact that they're 32bit cards in 33mhz slots.
    Still, it's far from impressive. Any suggestions (on where to
    go) about improving it?

    Anyhow, thanks for the help so far.

    --Bart Alewijnse

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:3.031 / U:0.008 seconds]