    SubjectRe: gigabit trouble
    I was going to do an exhaustive test, but because my computer stopped
    running completely, I'll reply to the one or two bits I can now.

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:04:01 +0200, Francois Romieu
    <romieu@fr.zoreil.com> wrote:
    > Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@gmail.com> :
    > [...]
    > > I run gentoo on both, which until yesterday was 2.6.7-ck5 (on both),
    > > and currently run 2.6.7-mm6 (again, both), as I saw the suggestion
    > > somewhere it had better support for the card - something about a new
    > > net card inferface that's nicer to interrupts.
    >
    > NAPI support for r8169 is available in recent -mm kernel and there is
    > a small (though noticeable) optimization wrt to interrupt disabling.
    Well, I noticed a max of 6500 interrupts/s on eth1 on both computers, with or
    without napi - and that 6500 is also the figure of packets per second.
    So I'm slightly dubious. (notice 6500 *1500 bytes is about 10MB/s)

    > [...]
    > > So, question one - how do I see the link speed under linux, and how,
    > > if at all, do I control it?
    >
    > ethtool
    Thanks. That wasn't the problem - the line speed's a gbit.

    > [...]
    > > Disturbingly, in such a linux-to-linux speed test, my new computer
    > > froze.As in, in text mode, have the screen freeze and apparently be
    > > half written full of nonsense.
    >
    > These messages would be welcome (pen/paper/serial line/image/log file
    > or whatever).

    No messages, no oops, no log messages that I noticed.
    It was video memory corruption in text mode.

    As to the rest, I'll do it when I revive my computer. Right now, I'm
    thinking the power supply may be dodgy. I'll see if I can get
    a minimum to run off my even older 235Watt. But as a note,
    with two cards, two cdroms and a hard drive less, it was still
    making the noise. I think it still is now, but since no OS actually
    boots completely right now, I can't say for sure.
    I'll do a memtest, that makes sense.

    --Bart

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:2.817 / U:0.104 seconds]