SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc2 crash(s)?
Date
On Wednesday 28 July 2004 20:12, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 12:37:51AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Update, it looks as if this new mobo is a bit much for the 350
>> watt supply in this case, the +5 volt line is wandering around a
>> couple of hundred millivolts, centered on about 4.86 volts. IMO
>> thats not enough, particularly since its wandering around under
>> load. Would everyone agree?
>
>This is a somewhat intense audit of potential hardware-related
> issues. What behavior have you observed that has led you to believe
> there may be hardware problems affecting your situation?

This message is now a bit old, William.

I was watching the psu voltages via gkrellm, and was seeing the 5 volt
line go from 4.89, down to 4.73 in consecutive readings. The new 420
watt Antec, seems to be steadier at 4.87 +- 0.03 or so.

I suspect the tap point for the xx83627 chips input may not be right
at the psu connector on the mobo cause I suspect the supply itself is
probably doing 5.05 or so, although I haven't dropped my DVM on the
line to test, its rather buried behind the drive cage. But lemme go
hit a drive power connector since there are spares on this psu, brb.

Yeah, at a drive cables middle connector, with a small load on the
end, its sitting at 5.00 volts, solid as a rock. This supply has
seperate regulators for the 5 volt, and 3.3 volt lines where the
older one regulated everything against the 5 volt by turns ratios on
the transformer, and was only a 300 watter, with 2 hd's, 2 floppy's
and a dvd writer in addition to the motherboard load.

Anything else a C.E.T. can get for you?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.133 / U:0.604 seconds]