SubjectRe: Announce: dumpfs v0.01 - common RAS output API
Jesse Barnes <> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 28, 2004 11:00 am, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > > I think this could end up being a good thing. It gives more people a
> > > stake in making sure that driver shutdown() routines work well.
> >
> > Which actually is one of the items open for discussion currently.
> > For kexec on panic do we want to run the shutdown() routines?
> We'll have to do something about incoming dma traffic and other stuff that the
> devices might be doing. Maybe a arch specific callout to do some chipset
> stuff?

Does ongoing DMA actually matter? After all,the memory which is being
dma-ed into is pre-reserved and allocated for that purpose, and the dump
kernel won't be using it.

It would be polite to pause for a number of seconds to allow things to go
quiet, but apart from that I think all we need to ensure is that the
drivers in the dump kernel firmly whack the hardware before reinitialising