    SubjectRe: Announce: dumpfs v0.01 - common RAS output API
    Jesse Barnes <> wrote:
    > On Wednesday, July 28, 2004 11:00 am, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > > > I think this could end up being a good thing. It gives more people a
    > > > stake in making sure that driver shutdown() routines work well.
    > >
    > > Which actually is one of the items open for discussion currently.
    > > For kexec on panic do we want to run the shutdown() routines?
    > We'll have to do something about incoming dma traffic and other stuff that the
    > devices might be doing. Maybe a arch specific callout to do some chipset
    > stuff?

    Does ongoing DMA actually matter? After all,the memory which is being
    dma-ed into is pre-reserved and allocated for that purpose, and the dump
    kernel won't be using it.

    It would be polite to pause for a number of seconds to allow things to go
    quiet, but apart from that I think all we need to ensure is that the
    drivers in the dump kernel firmly whack the hardware before reinitialising

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.019 / U:28.080 seconds]