    SubjectRe: Intermittent panic at boot on x86-64
    On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 05:14:11PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 07:09:24PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
    > > I'm trying to set up a dual Opteron 244 system using Linux 2.4.7. It
    > > doesn't reliably boot in SMP, although I've never had a problem in UP. It's
    > > possible that it's a hardware problem - the machine is new - but I don't
    > > think so.
    > >
    > > I get a lot of different results when I boot an SMP kernel: an NMI watchdog
    > > reported lockup in smp_boot_cpus [first log below], a single processor boot
    > > [second log below], an NMI watchdog lockup in ret_from_intr, also during
    > > smp_boot_cpus [third log below], an OK boot (maybe 33% of the time, fourth
    > > log below), or an error complaining that the IO-APIC and timer don't work
    > > and I should go bug Ingo (couldn't reproduce this now but it's from
    > > check_timer in io_apic.c).
    > >
    > > If it does boot both processors, it seems to run OK.
    >
    > Really confused now... I just had a successful boot with somehow messed
    > up timers. Take a look at the BogoMIPS here:

    For the record... with a huge amount of assistance from Andi, and a lot
    of trial and error, I tracked down the problem. This is a symptom of
    having USB Legacy Support turned on in the BIOS of a K8T Master2-FAR
    (BIOS rev 1.2).

    I turned it on because, without it, I couldn't talk to grub from my USB
    keyboard. If I hit a key on the keyboard at the grub prompt, before
    Linux got going, then all was well. If I let it try to autoboot,
    however, the timer is scrogged. Andi's guess was that the SMM (System
    Management Mode) code in the BIOS is doing something nasty.

    Without it I can't kick grub by hand, but I can autoboot. I should
    just go find another PS2 keyboard.

    --
    Daniel Jacobowitz