    SubjectRe: 2.6.8-rc2 crashes
    Date
    On Tuesday 27 July 2004 10:29, viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk
    wrote:
    >On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:33:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> Greetings everybody;
    >>
    >> I have now had 4 crashes while running 2.6.8-rc2, the last one
    >> requiring a full powerdown before the intel-8x0 could
    >> re-establish control over the sound.
    >>
    >> All have had an initial Opps located in prune_dcache, and were
    >> logged as follows:
    >> Jul 27 07:58:58 coyote kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL
    >> pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
    >
    >... which means that dentry_unused list got corrupted, which doesn't
    > really help. Could you try to narrow it down to 2.6.8-rc1-bk<day>?

    I don't have bitkeeper installed. I get my patches from kernel.org,
    either from the main Linus tree, or Andrews akpm tree. Is there
    someplace where I can dl a patchkit that leads up to rc1 by the
    "daily" snapshot? Or should I just get the 'broken out' patch after
    I verify that it also occurs with rc1 of course. That I haven't
    done, mainly because rc2 has a lot of usb bugfixes and my mouse
    hasn't died all by itself on rc2 like it was for at least 2 dozen
    patches before rc2. IIRC it did a time or 2 on rc1.

    It takes a < 1 day for this to occur usually, but seems to occur after
    a long session of doing something else that fails. (or maybe causes
    the fail, of a make install in konstruct/meta/kde) Thats running
    now, someplace in kdegraphics-3.2.92 from the looks of it.

    I'l go see if I can get the patch in broken out form.

    Mmmm, no, I guess I won't. I've just upgraded this machine to FC2,
    and gftp is one of the many things broken by this, an strace exit of
    trying to run gftp, most recent release:

    writev(2, [{"/usr/bin/gftp-gtk", 17}, {": ", 2}, {"error while loading
    shared libra"..., 36}, {": ", 2}, {"/usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0",
    29}, {": ", 2}, {"undefined symbol: pango_fc_font_"..., 44}, {"", 0},
    {"", 0}, {"\n", 1}], 10/usr/bin/gftp-gtk: error while loading shared
    libraries: /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0: undefined symbol:
    pango_fc_font_map_get_type
    ) = 133
    exit_group(127)

    And libpangoxft is this:
    [root@coyote root]# locate libpangoxft-1.0.so
    /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0.399.1
    /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so
    /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so.0

    with the latter 2 links to the first one.

    So I'd love to find this and fix it. FC2 broke way more than it fixed
    on this machine. And yum update did run just fine once I got some
    similar problems with libxml2 sorted. Sorry. Hints on this also
    gratefully accepted of course.

    In the meantime I'll cp my .config back to rc1 and see it it happens
    with rc1.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.