SubjectRe: Future devfs plans
Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 00:34:51 +0000, Ramón Rey Vicente wrote:
>
>>With udev you can do that, and without important bugs :). And the more
>>important thing is _udev is in active development_
>

> devfs has the "open /dev/somefile" to load $somedriver
> mechanism. it is said to be racy, as far as I know.
>
> udev works very differently. mostly, the idea is kernel detects hardware,
> kernel calls hotplug, hotplug loads driver, driver registers device
> structure in kernel, kernel calls hotplug for the new device, udev creates
> the device in /dev.
>
> with this mechanism, the kernel always has all drivers for hardware
> currently available loaded, and udev provides the /dev devices.
>
> devfs allowes you to not have the driver loaded till you try to use it.
> so udev _cannot_ do what devfs does.
>
> still I agree that the way kernel/hotplug/udev work is much better and
> supporting the old style devfs works is not necessary. but please be
> honest about the differences.

which means that now iPod automatically connects to firewire (and
looses info on random tracks, sometime some other settings), instead of
only connecting when I try to actually access it (the device).

it looks like there is no user level (end user, not admin) control on
when the device drivers are loaded anymore - or is there?

Is there any way to load drivers on demand (obviously it's not job of
udev but whose job it is?). What about unloading them - I unmount the
disk and i think the iPod is disconnecred but it still says connected -
is there any way to disconnect it (I guess similar problems arise with
other hotplug devices)

erik

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.062 / U:1.576 seconds]