SubjectRe: ext3 and SPEC SFS Run rules.
On Monday July 26, akpm@osdl.org wrote:
> > 2. For NFS Version 3, the server adheres to the protocol specification.
> > In particular the requirement that for STABLE write requests and COMMIT
> > operations the NFS server must not reply to the NFS client before any
> > modified file system data or metadata, with the exception of access times,
> > are written to stable storage for that specific or related operation. See
> > RFC 1813, NFSv3 protocol specification for a definition of STABLE and
> > COMMIT for NFS write requests.

Providing you use the "sync" export option, the Linux kNFSd should
meet this requirement.

> > 3. For NFS Version 3, operations which are specified to return wcc data
> > must, in all cases, return TRUE and the correct attribute data. Those
> > operations are:
> >
> > NFS Version 3
> > SETATTR
> > READLINK
> > CREATE
> > MKDIR
> > SYMLINK
> > MKNOD
> > REMOVE
> > RMDIR
> > RENAME
> > LINK
>
> To confirm this we'd need to undertake an audit of the server
> implementation, and we'll need to ask Neil about it.

To help with the audit: the wcc data is set by "fh_unlock". i.e. when
a filehandle is unlocked (up(i_sem)) a copy of the state information
is taken and included where appropriate in the reply.

The only place that I am aware of where we *do*not* return wcc data is
for the WRITE request (which you have not listed). As the underlying
filesystem is left to do whatever locking it thinks is appropriate,
and vfs_write does none, nfsd is not in a position to lock it itself
against sys_write and so cannot record before and after stat
information that is atomic w.r.t the update.

NeilBrown

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.898 / U:0.316 seconds]