SubjectRe: Future devfs plans
Adrian Bunk wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 08:17:42PM -0400, Ed Sweetman wrote:

>>On
>>top of that, MAKEDEV as distributed at least by debian, doesn't create
>>alsa devices and there is no script in the kernel source tree that i've
>>found that allows the device creation. One would have to go download
>>the alsa-driver package from the alsa-project website and use the
>>snddevices.sh script. Since alsa-driver is integrated with the kernel
>>now, this device creation script should be included in the kernel source
>>or if that's not the place for such a file, we'll have to get on
>>debian's butt to have MAKEDEV updated to actually support it.
>>

> apt-get install alsa-base
>

>Check
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/alsa-base.postinst
>
>and (surprise, surprise!), you'll note the snddevices script is executed
>when installing the alsa-base package.
>

>cu
>Adrian

And someone who compiles the kernel for themselves and never needs the
alsa-base deb wouldn't have any ability to create the devices. MAKEDEV
is the proper place to create devices, not a separate snddevices
script. This is still a debian bug.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.061 / U:1.080 seconds]