    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel events layer
    On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 10:46 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:

    Hey, Tim.

    > The things that do can use it, though. Here's a place where inconsistency
    > (if present) is pointless.1

    If some things can use the kobject path, we can use it in the argument
    field. I am cool with that - that is exactly what I want, in fact. But
    what we use as the naming convention needs to be something we can use
    uniformly. Unfortunately not everything has a kobject backing it, and
    we cannot change that.

    > This immediately strikes me as a really bad idea. Stuff moves between
    > files. Two files might really want to signal an event from the same
    > source.

    The signal name would be different.

    > As long as we're religious about making every subsystem standardize these
    > names, it should be ok. Another reason to macro-ize. There are way too
    > many people touching too much code that might take advantage of a generic
    > kernel->user event to rely on soft rules.

    I like your macro-izing idea and the notion of standardizing. Someone
    else brought up a good example: we want _all_ disk drivers to emit the
    exact same signal for e.g. "disk full" so user-space can react to it.
    It needs to be consistent. At least for driver error logging, we
    definitely want standards and macro-izing. The translation point is
    another good reason for it.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:3.577 / U:0.088 seconds]