SubjectRe: [FC1], 2.6.8-rc2 kernel, new motherboard problems
On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 01:58, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 23 July 2004 20:55, Lee Revell wrote:

> >> Hi Gene,
> >>

> >> I believe you'll need forcedeth.c for this one. It's called
> >> "Reverse Engineered nForce Ethernet support", under Device Driver
> >> -> Networking -> Ethernet 10/100 Mbit.
> >
> >Wow, nVidia won't release the specs for a *10/100 ethernet
> > controller*? Having to reverse engineer a network driver is
> > ridiculous in this day and age. I can understand binary-only
> > graphics drivers, there is a lot of valuable IP in there, but this
> > is a freaking network card. What do they expect people to do?
> >
> >Maybe some bad press would set them straight.
> >
> >Lee
>
> Nvidia is immune to bad press, and probably cannot release a thing
> other than some API help due to copyright contracts with the coders
> who wrote their winderz drivers for them, The only cure would be for
> them to hired a couple of dozen programmers of the minimum quality
> the open source programmers exhibit, which I happen to think is top
> notch, and the CEO can only see outgo without compensatory income for
> all that salary, so they contract it out for a known cost, and get
> tied up in restrictive contracts.

I am not talking about them releasing driver code, I am just talking
about datasheets so we can write our own driver, something that tells
you which bits to write to which registers to get it to do $FOO.

Their net cost: $0.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.054 / U:2.260 seconds]