    SubjectRe: VM Problems in 2.6.7 (Too active OOM Killer)
    On Sunday 18 of July 2004 18:13, Kurt Garloff wrote:
    > Hi,
    > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:54:31PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > > On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 05:30:52PM -0700, Peter Zaitsev wrote:
    > > > Why can't it be moved to other zone if there is a lot of place where ?
    > > > In general I was not pushing system in some kind of stress mode - There
    > > > was still a lot of cache memory available. Why it could not be instead
    > > > shrunk to accommodate allocation ?
    > >
    > > The only method the kernel now has to relocate userspace memory is IO.
    > But that could be changed.
    > If we can swap out and modify the page tables (to mark the page paged
    > out) and page in to some other location (and modify the pagetables
    > again), we can as well just copy a page and modify the page tables.

    Actually we don't need to swap out any pages for this purpose. It suffices to
    modify the page tables to indicate that certain pages should be _moved_ to
    some other locations, IM(H)O.

    Rafael J. Wysocki
    relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
    -- Richard P. Feynman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.033 / U:36.988 seconds]