    SubjectRe: [RFC] removal of sync in panic
    On 2004-07-14T17:45:46,
    Christian Borntraeger <linux-kernel@borntraeger.net> said:

    > I can imagine several changes but I am not sure if this is a problem which
    > must be fixed and which fix is the best.
    > Here are my alternatives:
    >
    > 1. remove sys_sync completely: syslogd and klogd use fsync. No need to help
    > them. Furthermore we have a severe problem which is worth a panic, so we
    > better dont do any I/O.

    I've seen exactly the behaviour you describe and would be inclined to go
    for this option too.

    > 3. Add an
    > if (doing_io())
    > printk(KERN_EMERG "In I/O routine - not syncing\n");
    > check like in_interrupt check. Unfortunately I have no clue how this can be
    > achieved and it looks quite ugly.

    This would also work of course, but as you point out, it's more complex.

    Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>

    --
    High Availability & Clustering \ ever tried. ever failed. no matter.
    SUSE Labs, Research and Development | try again. fail again. fail better.