    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] Re: desktop and multimedia as an afterthought?
    Date
    [...]
    > Please double-check that there are no priority inversion problems and that
    > the application is correctly setting the scheduling policy and that it is
    > mlocking everything appropriately.

    I don't think it is currently possible to have cooperating threads with
    different priorities without priority inversion when using a mutex to
    serialize access to shared data; and using a mutex is in fact the only portable
    way to do that...

    Thus, the fact that Linux does not support protocols to prevent priority
    inversion (please correct me if I am wrong) kind of suggests that supporting
    realtime applications is not considered very important.

    It is often heard in the Linux audio community that mutexes are not realtime
    safe and a lock-free ringbuffer should be used instead. Using such a lock-free
    ringbuffer requires non-standard atomic integer operations and does not
    guarantee memory synchronization (and should probably not perform
    significantly better than a decent mutex implementation) and is thus not
    portable.

    --ms

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:3.363 / U:0.224 seconds]