    SubjectRe: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [announce] [patch] Voluntary Kernel Preemption Patch
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Lee Revell <> wrote:
    >>>resierfs: yes, it's a problem. I "fixed" it multiple times in 2.4, but the
    >> > fixes ended up breaking the fs in subtle ways and I eventually gave up.
    >> >
    >> Interesting. There is an overwhelming consensus amongst Linux audio
    >> folks that you should use reiserfs for low latency work.
    > It seems to be misplaced. A simple make-a-zillion-teeny-files test here
    > exhibits a 14 millisecond holdoff.
    >> Should I try ext3?
    > ext3 is certainly better than that, but still has a couple of potential
    > problem spots. ext2 is probably the best at this time.

    Does anyone have any data points on XFS in this regard? I agree that
    ext2 is faster than ext3, and ext3 probably has lower latency than
    reiser3, but I have no info at all on XFS. My JFS experience is all on
    AIX, as well, so if anyone has that info it might be interesting as well.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.979 / U:4.500 seconds]