SubjectRe: 2.6.x Scheduler, preemption and responsiveness - puzzlement
Date
Sid Boyce writes:

> Nuno Monteiro wrote:
>

>> On 2004.07.11 23:55, Sid Boyce wrote:
>>
>>> I've been wondering why this is, I can't remember what the BIOS says
>>> about the hard drives, from memory it looked OK, I think it was set to
>>

>> <snip snip>
>>
>>> PCI IDE nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
>>

>> <snip snip>
>>
>>> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_AMD74XX is not set
>>

>> You don't have the driver for your IDE chipset compiled in. In the
>> "ATA/ ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" under "Device Drivers" menu select "AMD
>> and nVidia IDE support". Also, you can disable the "Generic PCI IDE
>> Chipset Support" and the "VIA82CXXX chipset support" you seem to have
>> enabled.
>>
>> Then you should be able to do DMA, and things will go a lot faster.
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>

>> Nuno
>
> Oops!, thanks. The previous motherboard used the VIA chipset, so that
> got missed when I changed over.
> Regards
> Sid.

DMA disabled is perhaps the most common reason for poor performance under
I/O loads. I think some cut down configurations that people have used from
their 2.4 installations have missed the appropriate IDE driver.

Cheers,
Con

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.290 / U:0.220 seconds]