    SubjectRE: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2
    On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 19:14 +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:

    > Just having the abillity to turn protection off opens the door. If it is
    > possible to turn it off then a way will be found to do it - either via
    > buggy kernel code or otherwhise. Only safe approach is to have it
    > enabled by default and not be able to turn it off IMHO.

    Much like LIDS works... You can configure, at build time, the kernel so
    you can't switch the LIDS protection at all. Moreover, in case you want
    to allow switching LIDS on/off, you can restrict such change to a
    program that is running, at most, at the console, or over a serial line.

    IMHO, I think that by definition, and programatically, allowing NX/
    ExecShield to be turned on and off is an exploitable way of cracking a
    system. I'd better like the LIDS approach.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:29.896 seconds]